Life on Long Island: My Drunken Karaoke Experience

Drunken karaoke is probably one of the best things on this entire planet. Living in the quiet suburbs of Long Island, sometimes I just need to get out and get rowdy. I used to do this on the regular, but I'd stopped going out after my PCOS diagnosis and subsequent weight gain. Since I'm on this journey of self-acceptance and self-love, I said to myself "F&ck it, I'm dolling myself up, going out and getting drunk."

I have no shame in my bathroom picture game.Shirt: Fashion to Figure | Leggings: Kohl's | Shoes: Payless

This night was actually monumental in more ways than one. For the first time in a long time, I felt so good, and it wasn't just because of those delicious blue tropical Long Island iced teas that I'd be drinking all night. I felt confident. My hair was done, my makeup was done and I wore heels! Granted, my feet were killing me the next day, but beauty is pain, amirite?


So in celebration of my dear brother's 30th birthday, we went to this little hole-in-the-wall bar called the Lizard Lounge. Located in Holbrook in a shopping center (next to a wine and liquor shop for double the fun!), it looks tiny from the outside, but when you walk in, there's a big bar to your right, and high-top tables and booths to your left. In the back, there's a cute little corner stage and, behind that, there's more lounging tables. The bar, which (according to the website) is the original Long Island martini bar, offers a New York City type of experience. The best part, though? Unlike many New York City bars, this bar has no cover and doesn't charge for their karaoke. Can you actually believe that karaoke bars in NYC charge per song for karaoke? Crazy.

I strutted my way into that damn bar, and my bestie and I immediately put in a request for a song. Once called (which was quick because we'd rented the karaoke out from 8 to 9 p.m.) I got myself on the stage and just, let go, for the first time in such a long time. It was amazing. I didn't care about how I looked or even sounded. I just got lost in the moment and had fun.





A couple of friends told me I looked great and that make me feel awesome. I wonder, though, was it because I dolled myself up? Or was it because I had more confidence than I'd had in a long time? Or maaaaybe a combination of the two?

My bestie and I!
Strangers approached me and talked to me, and I didn't feel afraid or uncomfortable, or "too fat" for it. I am worth so much more than my weight, and it's taken me a really long time to realize that. We are ALL worth more than our weight and the way we look! It's all about how we treat ourselves and the people around us.

     in·hi·bi·tion
         ËŒin(h)iˈbiSH(É™)n/
            noun
            a feeling that makes one self-conscious and unable to act in a relaxed and natural way.


That word is the damn devil. Your inhibitions will seriously keep you from loving yourself and from enjoying your life. Usually, they stop me, too, but not on that night. On that night, I kept getting on stage, talking to strangers, being flirtatious and just letting go.

Listen to that super high-pitched singing during the chorus. Do you hear it?
I just thought you should know .. that that is my older brother, singing that high.

I suppose that the lessons of this blog post are as follows:

  1. Visit the Lizard Lounge in Holbrook for a fun time.
  2. Get out, no matter where you are, and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
  3. Remember that you are beautiful, inside and out, and you are worthy of love!
Let me know, people. Have you had a similar awakening? If you're on Long Island, have you ever been to the Lizard Lounge? Let's get together for drinks if you are!


No comments

Leave me some love!